Creativity and future students

I”ve been rereading a chapter on design in Daniel Pink’s book Whole New Mind this afternoon (sitting on the porch, since it IS spring break.) and was thinking about creativity, design, and schools.

Then I ran across this video on TedTalks of Sir Ken Robinson talking about education and creativity.   His words rang true:

“Kids will take a chance and if they don’t know, they’ll have a go….They’re not frightened about being wrong….I don’t mean to say that being wrong is the same thing as being creative, but what we do know is if you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.”

Robinson thinks we are educating people out of their creative capacities.   We educate all students as though they are going to be professors; we educate them in the head only.  He feels this isn’t going to serve our students in the future.

Students think they should take practical courses based on what they will do as a job, and the whole education system around the world is based on university entrance, so it tells a whole group of students that they aren’t talented, because their talents lie elsewhere.

He’s writing a new book called Epiphany about how people discover their talents.  The video is a fascinating conversation starter.

One thought on “Creativity and future students

1. Pingback: Not So Distant Future » Designing the future?